my first baby blanket

by - 21:36

To no surprise, I have never really been to a baby shower outside of family (it's tough for gamers to travel to a friend's for every occasion).  The one non-family baby shower I did go to, I was at the very beginning of my knitting endeavors and was considered my first real project outside of the Harry Potter Year One scarves I was a very determined girl to learn to knit (thank you Charmed Knits).  I attempted the same blanket, twice!  I didn't understand the concept of color coordination, changes, or the craziness behind yarn overs and k2tog.  I still have that 1/3 finished blanket sitting in a project bag.


Not only was I recently invited to a baby shower, but it is my best friend.  Naturally the crafting gloves had to go on and the knitting determination on laser focus.  If you haven't yet picked up in the few and true posts I have made, I am not at all a keen on blanket knitting.  I tip my hat to every single of my "knittas" out there that get joy from blanket knitting.  I like to stick to the small things ... scarves, hats, socks, and mitts.  Anything over 100 stitches immediately turns me off and this 120 stitch beast was glaring me in the face.

My stubbornness did get the best of me. I went a good week without picking up the thing when I was about three quarters of the way done.  I know, so close to completion and I just stopped.  I'm good with projects, and I love crafting, but I will always be the quick project girls.  It's probably why I haven't touched my perler beads in so long.  It takes time and patience for perler beads and I really have to be in the mood to fidget with my minis.



Well, after three weeks (according to my ravelry project), I completed the blanket!  Ends of course woven in the night before, because what knitter enjoys weaving in ends?  My first ever baby blanket, in an adorably simple, easy, and not so over 100 stitch panic inducing pattern was complete!

Naturally, I didn't get any real good shots of it before sending it along to the Mom-To-Be, but I'm sure I'll get some good ones in there.  I used 4 colors Navy Blue, Light Blue, Aran, and Heather Grey in Loops & Thread Impeccable, in my trusty picked up from Wal-Mart US 9 circulars.

The BF didn't understand my excitement as I pulled the last stitch off the needle and waved the blanket in his face.  He sees me knitting all the time, it was nothing new, but to me, it was definitely an accomplishment.  The one other blanket, ever to leave full completion from my knitting fingers was my Garter Squish scrap blanket (found HERE), and that took over a year (a good 9 months of me not touching it) to complete.

To top all of that off, I went above and beyond with impressing myself in making my first ever Diaper Cakes (also pictured)!  They were so fun and my chicken little was able to help, which made her super excited, and I received a plethora of compliments on them.  My Mom, of course, suggested I make themed ones for resale, but that would make each cake about $40-$50 with diaper purchase, item purchase, and assembly.  I always wonder if people would actually pay for that.

Next I want to try a Housewarming Cake with washcloths, hand towels, and kitchen towels. Anyone moving into a new place?

On an end note, I've received the first bit of information for a craft show coming up in November.  The facilitator was very excited at the note that I make soaps.  Fingers crossed Prime Day proves well tomorrow for soap sales so I can stock up and get to cooking.  I need to break in the essential oil set my Sister Dos got for me on Mother's Day.

You May Also Like

0 comments